I <3 potato skins.
No, seriously, ya’ll. I love potato skins.
And then I discovered those jokers in the restaurants are frying my skins! Ugh.
I decided to take things into my own hands. (Besides which, I only know one place near me that will serve me potato skins with broccoli, and I double-<3 broccoli.)
Plan of attack:
- Bake a potato just shy of being done, or skip to step #2.
- Halve that potato and quarter the halves.
- Rub with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. If you started on step #2, now bake the wedges until done all the way through.
- Toss some steamed broccoli on top.
- Sprinkle with cheese (I like grated cheddar-jack).
- Broil until the cheese is bubbly.
- Serve with bbq and/or honey mustard.
It’s that easy. I even cheat, occasionally, and bake the potato in the microwave, which I rarely do except when I’m in a hurry to make these. Add a salad or bowl of tomato soup to this, and you’re not doing too bad for a quickie dinner that resembles your favorite bar food AND a healthy-ish choice.
Reads & Recommendations
Previously with the Night Owl
World Food Blog Map